Clock Home Arrow Right Tag Ticket Calendat Jam Jar Film

Spring Hill History Day

Join us and visit Spring Hill to tour its historic buildings and beautiful landscapes. Sites in the Spring Hill neighborhood include the Thornton Burgess Green Briar Nature Center & Jam Kitchen*, the Wing Fort House* (built in 1641, one of the oldest homes in New England), East Sandwich Friends Meetinghouse* (built in 1810 recently restored with the help of the Sandwich Preservation Act), a remnant of the Old King’s Highway now Quaker Road, the Blueberry Bog, Niilo Ahehon House, the Clark Hoxie House (a classic 1752 saltbox house), and Shirley’s Woods, walking trails managed by the Sandwich Conservation Trust*.

Advanced Tickets: Tickets available in person at Green Briar Nature Center 6 Discovery Hill Road, Titcomb's Bookshop Route 6A, and Scenic Roots Garden Center Route 6A

Day of Event: Tickets will be on sale, CASH ONLY, at Thornton Burgess Green Briar Nature Center, Wing Memorial History Center, and Friends Meeting House from 9am to 2pm.

Proceeds will be shared equally and benefit the four nonprofit organizations with asterisks. All historic sites are within a mile of each other, mostly on or just off Spring Hill Road.

Special Presentations (Included with $10 ticket)

  • 9am-1pm Wing Fort House
    Two citizens of the Herring Pond Wampanoag Tribe will lead discussions on the culture and history of the Wampanoag people. They will have a table displaying traditional items such as furs, tools, books, bags, and jewelry.
  • 9am-4pm Wing Fort House Garden
    Join Amy McGuiggan, colonial garden enthusiast and Wing descendant, to discuss historic plants & gardening.
  • 10am and 1pm Quaker Meeting House
    Join Bob Kelley, Quaker and Wing descendant, for a talk including early Sandwich Friends history and stories.
  • 1pm Wing History Museum
    Join Brad Blake and Jennifer Falk, descendants of Martha Blake and the Wing family, who will share their marvelous family scrapbook of life on Spring Hill Road in the 1900s.

From any parking lot listed on the program, It is a 3 mile walking loop to visit all sites.

A short drive away, Nye Museum, 85 Old County Road reopens today Noon- 4pm.